Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Becoming a Locavore

I consider myself to be a locavore and take strides everyday to stay that way.  It is a mixed up world out there and it seems that most people are tired of the rat race and have the desire to slow down and get back in touch with nature, family, a simpler life style and themselves.  I can not really speak for others only for myself.  In that way I hope to share my journey to a simpler local lifestyle with others of like mind.

As I try to become more green, more aware, more sustainable, more simple in my life, I find that I get more and more confused, unsure and at times down right terrified.  There is so much going on in the world today.  Buzz words for a greener, healthier sustainable lifestyle are on every TV commercial, billboard, radio ad, magazine cover and food package.  Sorting out how much is hype and how much is genuine is mind boggling.  Reading labels and country of origin has become a compulsion.  I feel like some days it would be so much simpler to just go back to eating fast food and not even thinking of what country my shoes come from and who made them.  But that way of thinking is what got us overweight and unemployed. 

There is an old saying that knowledge is power.  I am not to sure of that these days.  I wonder some days if knowledge is my ticket to the mental hospital.  In all seriousness, getting simple in a complicated world is a process.  A process I feel takes a village.  Each day I try to learn something new or define a process already in place.  One thing always seems to turn into another.  Then I get the "now what? look on my face and research some more on whatever it is I am simplifying at the moment. 

I hope by blogging about my experiences will help to connect like minded folks together to share ways of becoming simpler in today's complicated world.  Becoming simple is completely connected to living a local life.  This is my journey to becoming a true Locavorian. 

Peace,
Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment